In today’s post, we are going to share with you some of the interesting ways of transferring your photos to any stones, tile coasters, wood and more!
DIY Photo Transfer Crafts
- Cardboard or newspaper
- Your favorite laser-printed photos and/or images, sized to fit chosen medium
- Smooth, bright and lightly-colored stones, any shape (or tiles, wood, rocks, etc.)
- Paper towels
- Medium-sized bowl and/or spray bottle filled with water
- Mod Podge
- Sponge brush and/or tooth brush
- Paint brush
- Polycrylic (or another water-based sealant), for waterproofing
- Small magnets (optional)
1. Print out a favourite picture that you’d like to transfer it to the stone.
2. Use a damp paper towel to remove any dust particles from the stone. Brush a light coat of Mod Podge over the top of the stone.
3. Center the photo, face-side-down, on the stone, and press firmly. Use a flat-edged piece of cardboard (or another firm, straight-edged object, like a credit card) to gently smooth out any air bubbles. Allow it to dry completely overnight.
4. After drying overnight, dip a cloth into the bowl of water and wet the back of the image. (If transferring an image to wood, use the spray bottle and be sure not to saturate the wood.)
5. Use your fingers to carefully rub the paper so it pills and pulls away, revealing the image. Then use the sponge brush or toothbrush to gently brush away the rest of the paper until only the transferred image remains, being careful not to rub away the image itself.
6. Allow the stone to dry completely. Use the paint brush to apply a layer of the Polycrylic, which acts as a sealant and waterproofs the stone. Apply a second coat as needed.