Making a cafetiere or french press of roast and ground coffee is simple and fun. The french press forces us to slow down and savour the aroma of coffee before enjoying its delicious taste. Here’s how to make the perfect cup of french press coffee.
1. Use fresh cold water and avoid reboiled water. This is because fresh water contains more oxygen and helps to release the full flavour of the coffee. Never use water from the hot water tap.
2. Bring water to a boil but don’t let it boil for too long as this will boil away the flavour-releasing oxygen.
3. Warm the french press first by filling it up with warm water and inserting the plunger. After pre-heating for a minute, discard the water and wipe your french press clean. This is an important step as if the coffee cools too quickly, the full flavour will not come through successfully.
4. Add 1 heaped dessert spoon of ground coffee per cup or add the coffee grounds according to your personal preference.
5. Wait until water is just off the boil before pouring it onto the coffee. This brings out the rich aroma and avoids scorching the coffee.
6. Leave the coffee to stand for 4 minutes before pushing down the plunger.
7. Pour into cups and add milk and sugar as desired. There you go, a perfecr cup of fresh coffee!